Jack Hurst

Jack Hurst

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

George (Jack) Hurst was born in Lever Bridge on 27th October 1914. He joined Bolton Wanderers in 1934. Bolton was promoted in the 1934-35 season. Once again they struggled in the First Division finishing 13th (1935-36) and 20th (1936-37). During this period the stars of the team included Hurst, Harry Goslin, Jackie Roberts, George Hunt, Harry Hubbick, Don Howe, Albert Geldard, Ray Westwood, Jack Atkinson, Tom Woodward and George Eastham.

In 1936 Harry Goslin became captain of the club. Under his leadership Bolton maintained its position in the First Division of the Football League. As the authors of Wartime Wanderers point out: "Goslin was a tall, athletic, ramrod-straight man with piercing blue eyes, whose physical presence combined with his pleasant but firm personality made him the ideal choice for club captain. Under his astute leadership the club's fortunes improved."

Bolton Wanderers finished in 7th place in the 1938-39 season. George Hunt ended up as top scorer with 23 goals in 37 league games. However, according to Nat Lofthouse, it was Ray Westwood who was the club's main star that season. "He was an idol of mine. A brilliant player, who knew he was a good player, but wasn't big-headed. Over ten, fifteen, twenty yards he was electric. He mesmerised me as a boy, and I wanted to be like him."

.On 15th March, 1939, Adolf Hitler ordered the German Army to invade Czechoslovakia. It seemed that war was inevitable. On 8th April, Bolton Wanderers played a home game against Sunderland. Before the game started, Harry Goslin, the team captain, spoke to the crowd: "We are facing a national emergency. But this danger can be met, if everybody keeps a cool head, and knows what to do. This is something you can't leave to the other fellow, everybody has a share to do."

Of the 35 players on the staff of Bolton Wanderers, 32 joined the armed services and the other three went into the coal mines and munitions. This included Harry Hubbick, who resumed his career down the pits and Jack Atkinson and George Hunt served in the local police force. A total of 17 players, including Jack Hurst, Harry Goslin, Danny Winter, Billy Ithell, Albert Geldard, Tommy Sinclair, Don Howe, Ray Westwood, Ernie Forrest, Jackie Roberts, and Stan Hanson, joined the 53rd (Bolton) Field Regiment.

On 12th May, 1940, Adolf Hitler ordered the invasion of France. The 53rd (Bolton) Field Regiment was sent to help the French but came under attack from the advancing Panzer divisions. Jack Hurst, Harry Goslin, Don Howe, Ray Westwood, Ernie Forrest and Stan Hanson, were lucky to make it back to the French port of Dunkirk where they were rescued by British ships. While Hurst was away his only son died of a burst appendix.

The 53rd (Bolton) Field Regiment spent the rest of 1940 and the whole of 1941 at various army camps around Britain. According to the authors of Wartime Wanderers: They spent their time "building coastal defence constructions, manning anti-aircraft batteries and patrolling potential enemy landing sites all along the East Anglia coastline, variously stationed at Beccles, Nancton and Holt." This enabled them to play the occasional game for Bolton Wanderers in the North-East League. The team that year included Jack Hurst, Harry Hubbick, Jack Atkinson, George Hunt, Danny Winter, Billy Ithell, Walter Sidebottom, Albert Geldard, Tommy Sinclair, Don Howe, Ray Westwood, Ernie Forrest, Jackie Roberts, Jack Hurst and Stan Hanson.

On 22nd March 1941, George Hunt, the club's leading scorer for the last two seasons, was moved to right-half and replaced at centre-forward by the 15 year-old Nat Lofthouse. Bolton won the game 5-1 with Lofthouse scoring two of the goals. Lofthouse immediately formed a good relationship with his inside-forward, Walter Sidebottom. In the first six games together they scored 10 goals between them.

Bolton Wanderers beat Blackburn Rovers 2-0 at Burnden Parkon 26th April 1941. Lofthouse and Sidebottom scored the goals. It was to be Sidebottom's last game for the team as he now fell into the latest age qualification group to be conscripted into the armed forces. Sidebottom was sent to join the Royal Navy.

On 15th July 1942, the 53rd (Bolton) Field Regiment was told to mobilise for overseas service. The following month they arrived in Egypt and immediately became involved in defending Alam el Halfa. On 30th August, 1942, General Erwin Rommel attacked Alam el Halfa but was repulsed by the Eighth Army. General Bernard Montgomery responded to this attack by ordering his troops to reinforce the defensive line from the coast to the impassable Qattara Depression. Montgomery was now able to make sure that Rommel and the German Army was unable to make any further advances into Egypt.

On 22nd October 1942, the 53rd (Bolton) Field Regiment took up battle positions. The following day General Bernard Montgomery launched Operation Lightfoot with the largest artillery bombardment since the First World War. The attack came at the worst time for the Deutsches Afrika Korps as Erwin Rommel was on sick leave in Austria. His replacement, General George Stumme, died of a heart-attack the day after the 900 gun bombardment of the German lines. Stume was replaced by General Ritter von Thoma and Adolf Hitler phoned Rommel to order him to return to Egypt immediately.

The Germans defended their positions well and after two days the Eighth Army had made little progress and Bernard Montgomery ordered an end to the attack. When Erwin Rommel returned he launched a counterattack at Kidney Depression (27th October). Montgomery now returned to the offensive and the 9th Australian Division created a salient in the enemy positions.

Winston Churchill was disappointed by the Eighth Army's lack of success and accused Montgomery of fighting a "half-hearted" battle. Montgomery ignored these criticisms and instead made plans for a new offensive, Operation Supercharge.

On 1st November 1942, Montgomery launched an attack on the Deutsches Afrika Korps at Kidney Ridge. After initially resisting the attack, Rommel decided he no longer had the resources to hold his line and on the 3rd November he ordered his troops to withdraw. However, Adolf Hitler overruled his commander and the Germans were forced to stand and fight.

The next day Montgomery ordered his men forward. Lieutenant Harry Goslin and the 53rd (Bolton) Field Regiment joined the pursuit. The Eighth Army broke through the German lines and Erwin Rommel, in danger of being surrounded, was forced to retreat. Those soldiers on foot, including large numbers of Italian soldiers, were unable to move fast enough and were taken prisoner.

The British Army recaptured Tobruk on 12th November, 1942. During the El Alamein campaign half of Rommel's 100,000 man army was killed, wounded or taken prisoner. He also lost over 450 tanks and 1,000 guns. The British and Commonwealth forces suffered 13,500 casualties and 500 of their tanks were damaged. However, of these, 350 were repaired and were able to take part in future battles.

After spending time in Baghdad, the 53rd (Bolton) Field Regimentmoved to Kirkurk on 8th January 1943. They were eventually relocated to Kifri which was to become their main base for the next five months.

The 53rd (Bolton) Field Regiment joined General Bernard Montgomery and the 8th Army in the invasion of Italy. On 24th September, 1943, Lieutenant Harry Goslin and his men landed at Taranto. Three days later the men had reached Foggia without too much opposition. However, when the men were ordered to cross the River Sangro the regiment took part in some of the most difficult fighting of the Second World War.

At the end of November Don Howe was wounded and evacuated to a dressing station. After another enemy air attack Ray Westwood and Stan Hanson came close to being killed. The shelling continued and on 14th December, 1943, Harry Goslin was hit in the back by shrapnel. He died from his wounds a few days later. The Bolton Evening News reported: "Harry Goslin was one of the finest types professional football breeds. Not only in the personal sense, but for the club's sake, and the game's sake. I regret his life has had to be sacrificed in the cause of war."

What was left of the 53rd (Bolton) Field Regimentmoved to Monte Cairo, five miles north-west of Monte Cassino, on the main road from Naples to Rome. The Allied Commander-in-Chief, General Harold Alexander, told his men: "Throughout the past winter you have fought hard and valiantly... tomorrow we can see victory ahead. We are going to destroy the German armies inItaly." On 11th May 1944 the great British artillery programme bagan. Jack Hurst and Ernie Forrest, like many of the men serving in the artillery, began to suffer hearing loss because of the noise of this bombardment.

Jackie Roberts was caught in the blast of an enemy shell and had taken heavy shrapnel in the face, detaching the retina, and was immediately invalidated out of Italy and returned to Bolton. However, most of the Bolton players in the 53rd Field Regimentcontinued in the advance on Rome.

After the war Hurst continued to play for Bolton Wanderers. After appearing in 63 games for the club he joined Oldham Athletic in 1946.Over the next four years he played in 98 games for the club. He also had a season at Chelmsford City before retiring from the game.

Hurst was born and raised in the Houston area of Texas as the middle of three sons, his brothers are Colin and Michael. He attended St. Pius X High School (and during high school he played football, soccer, basketball, and baseball) and Baylor University, where he majored in international economics and management information systems with a minor in Spanish. After college, Hurst spent a year in Mexico City working for a transport company before beginning a finance career in Houston. [2] [3]

Hurst kept his day job in the finance industry, juggling it with acting gigs, until he was offered a role in The Mist in 2007. [3] He appeared in episodes of the television series Inspector Mom in 2006, The Closer in 2009 and NCIS in 2010. Since 2009, Hurst has played Grayson Kent on the Lifetime original comedy series Drop Dead Diva. [4] He also appeared in the films Have Dreams, Will Travel (2007), The Mist (2007) and Shorts (2009). In 2011, Hurst starred in his first leading role in the film A Bird of the Air. [5]

Hurst became engaged to actress Stacy Stas in October 2013. They were married in San Juan Capistrano, California, on June 7, 2014. Their son Ryder Jackson Hurst was born on July 25, 2015. Their son Hunter Eli Hurst was born February 7, 2018. [6] [7]

Men of Fire, Jack Hurst

This book looks at one of the earliest critically important campaigns of the American Civil War, the Federal attacks on Fort Henry and Fort Donelson, and the roles of U.S. Grant and Nathan Bedford Forrest in the fighting. On the face of it this was a fairly obscure campaign, often only noted as a key stepping stone in the career of Grant, but as the subtitle makes clear, Hurst does not share this view.

It does help that I agree with Hurst's main point, that it was the fighting in the west that decided the result of the American Civil War. While so much attention on both side (then and since) focused on the fighting in Virginia, in the west Federal armies under Grant and then Sherman dismantled the Confederacy. By the end of the war the Union's western armies were rapidly approaching Lee's army in Virginia from the south.

My only slight niggle with this book is that Forrest is rather over-billed in the title. He stands out on the Confederate side at Fort Donelson as just about the only competent senior commander present in the fort, but as a cavalry commander during a siege his actual role was really only to harass the Federal Troops, and then to escape before the end. In contrast Grant was the Federal commander on the ground, and so features rather more prominantly.

Although Grant and Forrest get top billing, Hurst does not neglect the important role played by figures such as the Federal naval commander Andrew Foote, the commander of the ironclad fleet, or by Forrest's incompetent superior officers at Fort Donelson.

This is a well written, very readable work, well supported by contemporary accounts of the fighting (but not overwhelmed by them). The campaign is set in it's historical and political context, with good sections on the roles of more senior Federal and Confederate commanders in the months before the fighting began (mostly infighting on the Federal side and indecision on the Confederate!).

Author: Jack Hurst
Edition: Hardcover
Pages: 442
Publisher: Basic Books
Year: 2007

Jack Hurst - History

Grady & Hurst TV Set
(Left to right - back row) Sod Vaccaro, Dave Mahoney, Bob Eberly, Al Alberts and Lou Silvestri
(Left to right - front row) Joe Grady, Patti Page, Mrs. Jack Pleis and Ed Hurst
circa 1952

Early in 1952, Broadcast Pioneers members Joe Grady and Ed Hurst did a pilot for a television show on WABC-TV, Channel 7, the ABC O&O station in New York City. Ed Hurst said that it wasn't a dance show but a variety program. It was an hour long and was live. To the best of Hurst's memory, the show was not recorded.

Ed Hurst told us that it was done between 9 am to 10 am and was not broadcast. Just the WABC execs watching the show in the control room. However, Broadcast Pioneers member Cissy Hurst (Ed's wife) disagrees. She said that the program was, indeed, aired over WABC-TV as a one-time special and series pilot.

On the back row are the Four Aces and Bob Eberly, former male vocalist for the Jimmy Dorsey big band. The front row has Grady and Hurst, plus the singing rage, Patti Page and the wife of Jack Pleis, the arranger for the Four Aces. Ed Hurst told us that the Four Aces drove all night in order to make the television show.

Sometime after the program, Ed Hurst sent the following correspondence to Al Alberts:

Joe Grady and I will never forget that you and The Aces traveled all night to New York to be guest artists on a Grady and Hurst audition for a morning TV show on WABC-TV.

Al once told me: "Ed, we made that overnight trip to New York because we never forgot what you and Joe and The 950 Club on WPEN, Philadelphia did for us with breaking our first recording of IT'S NO SIN nationally! That was the turning point of our career! Some things you never forget!"

I'm glad we were there for you Al! We gave you the ball, but you carried it! Congratulations on a great career!

Several times, Joe Grady and Ed Hurst appeared on Patti's network television shows, "The Big Record" on CBS-TV and "The Patti Page Show" on ABC-TV.

The last television appearance of Grady & Hurst took place on Saturday, March 6, 1999 on WHYY-TV. Broadcast Pioneers member Gerry Wilkinson, who was a television producer for WHYY invited Joe and Ed to appear on a Channel 12 pledge drive. The reason? The station was airing a Patti Page TV special and had Patti live in the studio.

(Left to right) Ed Hurst, Joe Grady & ed Cunningham
(All members of the Broadcast Pioneers)

(Left to right) Ed Cunningham with Patti Page
The WHYY Forum Theater

It was one of the last broadcasts to originate from "The Forum Theater" in the WHYY complex. When the WHYY building was renovated later that year, the theater was eliminated.

From the official archives of the Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia
B&W Photo originally donated by Al Alberts
B&W picture is from Alberts' book, "Al's Song"
2 Color Video Stills from the WHYY-TV membership drive
Video dub courtesy of WHYY Engineer Ken Tuman
Used with the permission and authority of WHYY-TV
© 2000, 2005 - All Rights Reserved

The e-mail address of the Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia is [email protected]

Jack Hurst donates country music history

The man who largely created the role of country music journalist has donated hundreds of sound recordings to Special Collections. Jack Hurst, BA’64, began writing about country music in the late 1960s. His donation of rare interviews with celebrities and industry leaders from the 1970s and 1980s are a rich treasure trove of insider information from the people who made country music. Among the hundreds of recordings are interviews with legends Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Dolly Parton and Garth Brooks.

Hurst was the first full-time music writer for The Tennessean, the first Nashville contributing editor for Country Music Magazine and originated the country music beats at the Philadelphia Inquirer and the Chicago Tribune. In 1981, the Maryville, Tenn., native was the first recipient of the Country Music Association media achievement award. In 2001, he won Charlie Lamb Award for Excellence in Country Music Journalism in the category of lifetime achievement. His twice-weekly country music column was syndicated nationally for more than two decades, and he has written several books on country music.

No Responses

I’ve always been a fan of Jack Hurst. He’s the inspiration behind my reasons for wanting to be a country music journalist.

Leave a Response

You must be logged in to post a comment

Recent News

Your Vanderbilt

Quick Links

© Vanderbilt University · All rights reserved. Site Development: Digital Strategies (Division of Communications)
Vanderbilt University is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action. Accessibility information.
Vanderbilt®, Vanderbilt University®, V Oak Leaf Design®, Star V Design® and Anchor Down® are trademarks of The Vanderbilt University

Jack Hurst

George John Hurst (27 October 1914 — February 2002) was an English footballer who played as a centre half.

Jack Hurst
Personal information
Full name George John Hurst [1]
Date of birth 27 October 1914
Place of birth Darcy Lever, England
Date of death February 2002 (aged 87) [1]
Place of death Harrow, England
Position(s) Centre half
Youth career
Lever Bridge Juniors
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls )
1933–1947 Bolton Wanderers 60 (2)
1947–1951 Oldham Athletic 98 (2)
1951–1952 Chelmsford City
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only

In May 1933, Hurst signed for Bolton Wanderers from Lever Bridge Juniors. Hurst made 60 Football League appearances for Bolton, scoring twice. [1] A period of Hurst's time at the club was taken up by World War II. Hurst, alongside 16 other Bolton players, joined the 53rd (Bolton) Field Regiment. [2] During Hurst's time in World War II, his only son died from a burst appendix as well as Hurst himself suffering hearing loss during the Battle of Monte Cassino. [2] In February 1947, Hurst joined Oldham Athletic, making 98 league appearances. [1] In 1951, Hurst joined Chelmsford City, before retiring at the end of the season. [2]

  1. ^ abcd"Jack Hurst". Barry Hugman's Footballers . Retrieved 7 February 2019 .
  2. ^ abc
  3. "Jack Hurst". Spartacus Educational . Retrieved 7 February 2019 .

This biographical article related to association football in England, about a defender born in the 1910s, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.

Jack Hurst Collection

This site contains collection guides, or finding aids, to the archival collections held by Vanderbilt University Special Collections and University Archives, the History of Medicine Collection, and the Scarritt Bennett Center. Finding aids describe the context, arrangement, and structure of archival materials, allowing users to identify and request materials relevant to their research.

Requesting Materials

Each finding aid contains a link to request materials from the collections. Collections can also be requested by emailing the repository directly through the library website. Each repository has its own location, hours, and contact information. Please consult the repository with questions about using the materials. Collections are non-circulating and must be used in the repository’s reading room. In many cases, the collections are stored off-site and require advance notice for retrieval.

Connect with Vanderbilt Libraries

Your Vanderbilt

Support the Jean and Alexander Heard Libraries

Gifts to the Libraries support the learning and research needs of the entire Vanderbilt community. Learn more about giving to the Libraries.

Quick Links

Jean and Alexander Heard Libraries · 419 21st Avenue South · Nashville, TN 37203 · Phone

© Vanderbilt University · All rights reserved. Site Development: Digital Strategies (Division of Communications) & Library Technology and Digital Services.
Vanderbilt University is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action. Accessibility information.
Vanderbilt®, Vanderbilt University®, V Oak Leaf Design®, Star V Design® and Anchor Down® are trademarks of The Vanderbilt University

Jack Hurst - History

Jack Akers Hurst was born on February 13, 1922. According to our records Tennessee was his home or enlistment state and Davidson County included within the archival record. We have Nashville listed as the city. He had enlisted in the United States Navy. Served during World War II. Hurst had the rank of Petty Officer Second Class. His military occupation or specialty was Motor Machinist's Mate Second Class. Service number assignment was 6402174. Attached to USS Robalo (SS-273). During his service in World War II, Navy Petty Officer Second Class Hurst was reported missing and ultimately declared dead on July 26, 1944 . Recorded circumstances attributed to: Missing in action, Lost at sea. Incident location: Off the east coast of Balabac Island, Philippines. Jack Akers Hurst is buried or memorialized at Tablets of the Missing, Manila American Cemetery, Philippines. This is an American Battle Monuments Commission location.


In the early 1980s, Jeff Rymes’s friend place an ad looking “for people who play the blues with him”. [3] Rymes used to play with the Moondogs in the San Fernando Valley while Randy Weeks was with Jumpin’ Bones. Both Jumpin’ Bones and the Moondogs disbanded and Rymes and Weeks kept running into each other as they realised that they lived on the same neighbourhood. So, they decided to respond to Rymes’s friend ad and form a new group called the Lonesome Strangers. [3] Bassist Nino Del Pesco and former Wall of Voodoo drummer Joe Nanini later joined the band. [5]

The Lonesome Strangers were discovered by producer Pete Anderson when they performed around the L.A. clubs. He included their song ‘Lonesome Pine’ on the 1985 compilation A Town South of Bakersfield in which Dwight Yoakam, Rosie Flores, James Intveld and other American artists had contributed. Anderson produced their debut album 'Lonesome Pine' that was released under the Wrestler label and it became a successful album. [5]

Before their debut album was released, Nanini left the band and Mike McLean became the new drummer of the band. In 1987, Del Pesco later departed from the band after their tour with Yoakam and Dave Alvin in order to form a new band called Snakefarm with Barry McBride in 1987 and he was replaced by Lorne Rall. In 1988, Weeks and Rymes performed as backing vocals to Yoakam's acclaimed studio album Buenos Noches From a Lonely Room. [5]

The Lonesome Strangers signed under the HighTone Records in 1988 where they issued their second album in 1989 called ‘The Lonesome Strangers’. It had also received highly complimentary review along with their minor US country hits ‘Goodbye Lonesome, Hello Baby Doll’ and ‘Just Can’t Cry No More’. [6] Despite their breakthrough in the US, the band went on a hiatus due to Rymes’s announcement about his relocation to the East Coast in the early 1990s. [5] Weeks and Rymes then reunited after Rymes return to Los Angeles several years later and eventually created a new album Land of Opportunity in 1997. [5] Dusty Wakeman replaced Lorne Rall as the bassist and Jim Christie became the new drummer of the band. Skip Edwards later contributed on the album as a keyboardist. [5] [6] However, Jeff Roberts was later hired as the touring bassist, and the drummer became ex-Plowboy Kenny Griffin, then Greg Perry. [5] After their third album and a series of live performances, they decided to take a hiatus and pursue their solo activities. [6]

Watch the video: 1SC Elite 32021